The role of the Governing Body
All schools have a Governing Body which works with the Headteacher and senior leaders to raise school standards through their three key roles of setting strategic direction, ensuring accountability and acting as a critical friend.
St Mary’s School is a Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary school which means that the majority of the members of the Governing Body are appointed by St Mary’s Church Parochial Church Council and the Diocesan Board of Education. Other members are elected by parents and staff, to ensure that Governing Body is able to robustly hold the school to account for the quality, standard and effectiveness of the teaching and learning. In addition Governors oversee the schools financial performance and set the strategic direction, vision and ethos of the School. The Governing Body meets at least once a term and its work is supported by a range of committees which oversee particular aspects of school life. Governors will also meet with subject leaders, Aspire co-ordinators and other members of staff during their regular visits to the School. These visits also include time with pupils to hear their views on our school.
The Governing Body is always interested to hear the views of parents and carers and regularly receives updates on parental views shared on the OFSTED Parentview portal as well as meeting parents and seeking their views through other means of consultation.
In accordance with the Government’s requirement for all governing bodies, the four core strategic functions of the St Mary’s Primary School Governing Body are:
- Maintaining the Christian Foundation of the School;
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils;
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
If you would like to find out more about the work of the governors or perhaps find out about becoming a governor yourself, please contact Mr Ron Pratt, Chair of Governors, via the School Office.
The Governing Body currently consists of:
- Mr Ron Pratt (Chair) - Foundation Governor (other)
- Mrs Lyn Baldock (Vice-Chair) - Foundation DBE
- Mrs Geraldine Denham-Hale - Headteacher
- Mrs Kirsty Finch - Parent Governor
- Mrs Janet Stead - Foundation P.C.C.
- Mrs Auriel Owers - Foundation P.C.C.
- Mr Jonathan Anderson - Staff Governor
- Mrs Helen Denton - Associate Member
To view further information about the Governing Body, click the links below:
Governors' business interests
Governor pen portraits