PE and Sports Premium
PRIMARY PE AND SPORTS PREMIUM FUNDING
St. Mary’s School continues to aim high in all areas of sports and physical activity. We use our sports premium funding to ensure that pupils' opportunities and experience in these areas is maximised and also what we deliver is educationally sustainable.
WHAT IS THE PE AND SPORT PREMIUM FUNDING?
PE and Sport Premium Funding is designed to help primary schools improve participation, as well as the quality of the PE and sports activities they offer their pupils.
Schools receive funding based on the number of pupils in Years 1 to 6.
Schools must spend the funding to improve participation and the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best way of using the money.
SCHOOL KEY FOCUS AREAS FOR 2023 ONWARDS
Our approach is to continue to develop the successful areas from the previous year and to introduce new opportunities for our pupils through:
- the hiring of qualified sports staff/coaches to work with pupils and teachers;
- developing active outdoor learning across the curriculum and increasing opportunities for use of the outdoor learning environment;
- further developing our Forest School provision, resources and environment;
- providing additional swimming throughout the whole school to help get back on track after the COVID closures;
- working with local organisations to provide new experiences and challenges for our pupils;
- training our subject leader and other staff so that they may deliver high quality learning, with a particular focus on athletics, dance and gymnastics;
- providing quality resources to help teach PE and sport to the highest standards and keep the children active;
- improving our school sports and PE facilities to offer the best possible opportunities for all of our pupils;
- employing additional teaching assistants/instructors to enable greater participation in sports events;
- participation in a wide range of events and sports competitions and linking with other schools to develop partnership work in PE;
- supporting PE staff to coach and attend sporting events;
- running school sports clubs and providing outdoor learning experiences.